July 4th is an important American holiday when here in Atlanta and all around the country, we celebrate our nation’s independence with parades, great summer weather, cookouts with friends and family, and of course fireworks. While this can be a lot of fun, your safety, and that of family and friends can not be overlooked. Here we share some tips for staying safe this July 4th, and why you might want to leave the fireworks to the professionals.
In 2011, 9,600 fireworks-related injuries were treated in U.S. hospital emergency rooms and an estimated 17,800 reported fires were started by fireworks. (nfpa.org) Why take the risk? The safest and easiest way to celebrate the 4th, is to pack up the family with a picnic blanket and treats and watch a professional fireworks show. Centennial Olympic Park here in Atlanta always has an amazing program synchronized to music with a fun, family atmosphere. Many of the neighboring counties have their own displays as well.
If you are absolutely set on setting off smaller fireworks at home, please follow some of these precautions.
▪ Make sure the type of fireworks you are buying are legal in your area and only purchase them from reputable sources; never try to make fireworks at home
▪ Read all warnings and labels on the packaging before setting them off
▪ Only light fireworks on a flat, smooth surface away from homes
▪ Do not allow children to set them off, even sparklers are dangerous as they can reach temperatures up to 2000 degrees; the risk of injury is highest for children ages 5 – 14 with more than twice the risk for the general population
▪ Never aim the fireworks at buildings, homes, people or animals
▪ Have a water source available in case of emergency; soak all used fireworks in water before disposing of them
Do all that you can do prevent yourself or a love one from becoming one of the thousands of people injured by fireworks this year. Instead, sit back, relax and watch one of the many professional shows around the area, or even the broadcast on TV. We hope that everyone has a happy, fun and safe fourth of July!
We are Atlanta’s premier water and fire restoration experts specializing in water damage, water restoration, water extraction, fire damage, smoke damage, mold remediation and more. Serving metro Atlanta and surrounding cities since 1998. For more home improvement and safety tips follow us on Twitter: @premierdrying, Facebook or Google+.